|Home About District ORIGIN|
Karur Taluk, which was once a part of Coimbatore district, was merged with Tiruchirappalli district during 1910. A separate Karur district was formed on 30th September 1995 by trifurcating Tiruchirappalli district. Initially, Karur District was carved out of the composite Tiruchirapalli district, consisting of three taluks namely, Karur, Kulithalai and Manaparai. Subsequently Manaparai Taluk was decoupled and Musiri Taluk was included in Karur District. Later Musiri Taluk was decoupled from Karur District.
Karur District, with headquarters at Karur, is the most centrally located district of Tamil Nadu. It’s about 371 km south west of Chennai (Madras), the capital of Tamil Nadu.
Karur district is bounded by Namakkal District in the north, Dindigul District in the south, Tiruchirapalli District on the east and Erode District on the west.
Karur district was formed through Government Order G.O.Ms.No.913, Revenue Dated 30.10.1995.